Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dogs have eaten 2 full avocados - is there a risk

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
"While avocado is toxic to some animals, in dogs and cats we do not expect to see serious signs of illness. In some dogs and cats, mild stomach upset may occur if the animal eats a significant amount of avocado flesh or peel. Ingestion of the pit can lead to obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract,which is a serious situation requiring urgent veterinary care. Avocado is sometimes included in pet foods for nutritional benefit. We would generally not expect avocado meal or oil present in commercial pet foods to pose a hazard to dogs and cats." SPCA Animal Poison ControlHave you found the pits, Dawna?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
yes - I have both pits. but they ate all the flesh and most of the peel
Thank you! Transient gastrointestinal distress - inappetence, vomiting and/or diarrhea - may arise but your dogs haven't been intoxicated. There's no need to induce emesis nor treat in any manner. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
thank you. that's all I needed.
You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.