Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My dog has a swollen spot on his arm that is bubbled up and

Customer Question

My dog has a swollen spot on his arm that is bubbled up and he is licking a lot! Looks like a bite or some irritation ! We are on vacation in mammoth lakes ! Vet is closed here for today , what should we do till tomorrrow when they open again ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog! Are you near any pet stores? If so, you can pick up an e-collar (the lovely lamp shade collar) to put on your dog so he doesn't lick at the area and further cause irritation. I would then just clean the area with a mild soap and apply a triple antibiotic ointment (like neosporin) and if it looks red or feels warm, you can also apply a hydrocortisone ointment or cream as well.
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
If you cannot get an e-collar, and have a long sleeve shirt, you can try to slip that on to your dog so he cannot get to the area. I would be very careful if you try to apply a bandage over the area because it is very easy to apply it too tightly to a leg and end up creating a tourniquet effect, causing the lower leg to swell up and cause more problems in the end! So if you go that route, be sure that the bandage is NOT tight!
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Jessica Keay