Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Good afternoon my question is my 8 month old puppy might have

Customer Question

Good afternoon my question is my 8 month old puppy might have ear mites he shakes his head every now and then he's a German shepherd what can I give him to catch it early before it gets worse
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about Ghost's ear situation. When a young dog is shaking their heads like this every now and then, it could be due to: ear mites, foreign material in the ear, bacterial ear infection, yeast ear infection, or a combination of bacteria and yeast for the ear infection. The best thing thing to do is to have your vet see him so they can look down in the ear to see what that reveals. They can then take some material / debris from inside the ear and look at it on a slide under a microscope to determine what is the cause. Then the best therapy can be started up. The reason I don't like for an owner to just put "things" in the ear without an exam is that it is important to make sure the ear drum is intact as medications in the ear with it not being intact can cause some hearing / inner ear damage.