Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

I have a seven year old Blue Tick Heeler/Australian Sheppard

Customer Question

I have a seven year old Blue Tick Heeler/Australian Sheppard mix that my wife and I have had since he was a puppy. We recently moved to savannah, Ga from Fort Worth, Tx. We are living in an apartment that has a small dog park.
On Monday of this week he had an open sorer on his head and a marble sized bump. I took him to the Vet thinking he had been bitten by an insect or a parasitic condition. The Vet indicated that it was a “hot spot” and not serious and issued some Meds (anti-bacterial tablets) to ward off infection.
The sorer has continued to grow significantly and has a lot of clear fluid in it.
I’m wondering if it’s not a reaction to some plants he’s not use to being around.
Your Thoughts
Jon Porter
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** I hope the move is going good for you in every other manner. I hear Savannah, GA is beautiful. Any chance you can take a photo of the area and post it here for me to see it?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm at work so getting picture to you is not possible at the moment. The open sore has grown three times the size since Monday and there's another location starting a little further back from the original. He shows no sign of discomfort nor does he try to scratch it. I can say it does look quite unsightly.
Did they shave the fur off the area of the "hot spot"? Hot spots are areas of moist dermatitis on the skin that I like to treat by clipping the fur off the area so it can dry out. I also treat them with oral antibiotics.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Again I'm at work and am not able to hold a phone conversation at this time
I'm sorry about the "phone prompt" thing. That is something the system offers. Honestly, I like the typing better.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The did shave around the "hot spot" area and provided oral antibiotics. No topical cream though which surprised me.
That is good that they shaved around the "hot spot" area. If there is oozing areas where there is still fur, then this may need to be shaved too. With my hot spots, once the hair is gone, the area can be cleaned with warm water and a gentle hand soap once a day to remove any discharge that may build up. In most cases, in a few days the area drys up and scabs over. If there is a sore in the center of this that is festering, could there be something in the tissue there? Could it be a reaction to an insect bite or spider bite? I wouldn't think this is a reaction to a plant material.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok, I will keep the area clean, shave around the new area and give him the meds.
Hopefully this will help the situation. Hot spots usually respond well in a couple days with that course of therapy.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank You Dr. Bruce
I will be on and off all day / night here. If you want to when you get home from work, you can take a picture and post it. I'm curious to see this. A picture is worth a thousand words.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'll give it a go. I attached a selfie as a test to see if I can attach a photo
Good job on the Koala picture being attached! Look forward to seeing what you can do later. I have a skating party with my daughter for the next couple hours so I'll be on later.