Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

We had our 13 and eight month year olds dog groomed on Friday.

Customer Question

We had our 13 and eight month year olds dog groomed on Friday. It took 2 hours and she said she had to muzzle and put a cone on him. A first at the groomer. He acted strange when he got home. Pacing more nervous but settle by the evening and slept good. He seemed ok the next morning but then had what appeared to be a seizure the next afternoon. We were not here our son took him to the vet. Given a strong seditive and it stopped. When we saw him an hour later he seemed better. He ate Saturday and Sunday almost back to normal but pacing a bit and seemed a little nervous. Monday morning he had numerous big seizures about 10 minutes apart. Appeared to loose sight, hearing, bowels then standing. Not sure if strokes? We had to but him asleep to stop the seizing. Looking back he had some signs like staring into space and twitches. I just question if the grooming put it all in motion? I guess just feeling terrible. He has had health issues thu the years like a throat surgery at 3. He also seemed thinner lately. Sorry for the long question.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am sorry that your pup started to have such problems. In all likelihood, the stress of being at the groomers did contribute to his symptoms, but it most likely wasn't the underlying cause. There is most likely a medical issue behind it. It could be a brain tumor, a liver problem, inflammatory process around the brain, tumor elsewhere, a kidney problem, a thyroid problem, etc. His body may have just be compensating for an illness for so long, which made him show no clinical signs, but the stress just sent him over the edge. A stroke is possible but far less common in dogs, but it sounds more like a seizure anyway. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.