Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

I'm dogsitting labradoodle. He and another dog got in

Customer Question

I'm dogsitting for a labradoodle. He and another dog got in a skuffle over a treat and the labradoodle got nicked on the leg. Its not a hole but skin is brokern open. What should I do? It happened last nite...it bled for lonly a few minutes..
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 10 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. Is it possible for you to take a picture of the wound and post it or attach it to your next message?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
here are the photos
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
did you get them?
Thanks for the pictures. The pictures are a little blurry, but it looks more like a small laceration to me. With those, the best thing to do is to have it sutured closed by a vet because there is a chance of it getting infected. The sooner it is sutured, the more likely it won't open back up. That and getting her on a short course of antibiotics would be best. If that is not an option, you can always rinse it with a light stream of room temperature water for 5-10 minutes, dry it, apply Neosporin and very lightly bandage it. It will eventually heal that way, but it may take longer, and it does have a higher chance of getting infected. Plus, that cleaning and bandaging would really have to be done daily. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps. My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, PLEASE RATE IT. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Reilly. How is everything going?

Dr. John