Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

I have to take him out every 20-30 mins he cant stop pooing

Customer Question

JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Blue & he's 14 in august
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No thanks
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 7 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Blue is having troubles with his pooping today - I'll do my best to help. Based on your description of an increase in the frequency and urgency of Blue's bowel movements, it sounds like Blue is having a bout of colitis. Colitis is inflammation of the colon that can be caused by a wide array of diseases. Many are quite benign and will even pass on their own with time and TLC - viruses and dietary indiscretions (I ate something that didn't agree with me) are two that we commonly blame for milder colitis or colitis that gets better with symptomatic care. Intestinal parasites can also cause colitis - these would require veterinary treatment to clear up. Much less commonly colitis can be caused by inflammatory bowel disease or cancer. Some dogs also develop colitis in reaction to their diet and will improve if we find the right diet. Colitis causes an increased frequency of defecation as well as an increase in the urgency, which can sometimes lead to the defecations in the house. Colitis is a very common symptom that we see in veterinary medicine. Typically if the pet looks healthy and is doing fine otherwise, most vets treat a first time colitis with basic anti-diarrhea medication (usually a medicine called metronidazole) and possibly probiotics, a deworming, and a temporary diet change. You can do some of this at home - a bland diet consisting of one part boiled white chicken breast mixed with three parts boiled white rice is an easily digestible home treatment for diarrhea of any sort. It's not something you'd want to use long term but it can definitely help with the milder cases of colitis. You can also purchase a good quality probiotic like Purina's Forti Flora at your vet or online. Having said all that, though, I would suggest that you give your veterinarian a call and also bring a stool sample for your vet to check for intestinal parasites. At Blue's age he can become dehydrated and very ill if this is a more severe case of diarrhea and it doesn't get treated early. Having said that, basic run of the mill colitis is a problem that may be remedied quite easily with simple medications prescribed by the vet. Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)