Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

Elizabeth.....my cat may have

Customer Question

My name is Sister ***** ***** Elizabeth.....my cat may have eaten 1-2 methmazole 5 mg tabs that were not his (I have 2 cats). The pills were quartered so this is the most he could have eaten from what I could tell. He apparently knocked the container off the counter and the lid fell off. This apparently happened at least 1-2 hours ago. He seems fine. He is overweight - weighs about 14 lbs.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I tried to find all of the quarters from the pills but it was difficult because some of them had broken into smaller pieces and were scattered. I did a thorough job of finding all the "crumbs" on the floor. It may have happened earlier. He had thrown up some dry food that I found in the bathroom - not sure what happened first since I was not in the same area. I would be very surprised if he even ate any of them since both my cats will not go near pills.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.
A one-time inappropriate ingestion of methimazole is likely to go unnoticed. GI effects, if any, might include vomiting, anorexia, and depression/lethargy but would be expected to be transient. There's no reason to induce emesis or treat in any manner when such a large and normal cat ingests 10 mg of methimazole.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.