Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

My name is ***** *****, I have a female Shitzu 6yrs old. Yesterday

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****, I have a female Shitzu 6yrs old. Yesterday she started vomiting, color was brownish, redish, but could see through it. My daughter cleaned up 4 puddles. Last night she did it again. She is wanting to be by my side, slept beside my bed last night. She is pretty independent so that was sooo not like her.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: once she is done vomiting she drinks water. I have walked our back yard to see if there was something that she might have gotten into or eaten but saw nothing.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that your Shih Tzu hasn't been feeling well - I will do my best to help. When I see dogs that are suddenly vomiting but acting relatively normally otherwise, the first couple of things I consider are infectious diseases (think stomach flu), dietary issues (I ate something that didn't agree with me) or foreign body obstructions (I ate something that's blocking my GI tract). These can range from mild things that they get over on their own, up to surgical emergencies.As long as their breathing is not labored, there is no abdominal distention, and their gums are pink and moist, I usually recommend holding off on giving any food or water for at least 6-8 hours. If they are continuing to vomit though this time, it's time to see the vet. If they stop vomiting, then I start by offering a small portion of water. If they keep that down for more than 2 hours, I offer another small amount of water and a small taste of food (1-2tsp). As long as they continue to tolerate small meals, you can gradually increase the amount of food at each sitting and increase the time in between meals. If they aren't eating at all for >24 hours, this also merits a trip to the vet. Red flags that indicate she needs to be seen by the vet ASAP would include vomiting that hasn't stopped within an hour or two, any abdominal distention or an obviously painful belly, significant lethargy, vomiting blood or foreign objects, inability to keep water down when it's reintroduced, gums any color besides bubblegum pink, or any labored breathing. Any of these could indicate a potentially severe issue. Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Doc Sara