Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

My dog was attacked & his penis was bit. I went to the hospital

Customer Question

My dog was attacked & his penis was bit. I went to the hospital they told me it wasn't that bad but since I brought him home last night it's been no stop. The bleeding is in a clot form
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: Thank
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. It sounds like the wound needs to be readdressed and likely closed surgically. Penile wounds can be tough to manage. I prefer to close them with small absorbable suture. If the urethra was involved, then I'll also place a urinary catheter and hospitalize them for 2-3 days with the catheter in as they heal up. If the urethra was not involved, then it should just be closing the wounds and going home on anti-inflammatory meds and antibiotics.If you want to just try something at home, you can flush some cold saline into the prepuce. That should help stimulate a clot to form and get the bleeding under control. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The hospital gave me meds & sent me on my way
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hopefully they determined that the urethra was not involved. If that's the case, then it may just need to heal up on it's own. This can take 3-5 days before the inflammatory stage of healing is completed and there is no more discharge present. That's not unexpected.