Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is vomiting, lathargic, walking crooked, not eating

Customer Question

My dog is vomiting, lathargic, walking crooked, not eating....help
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.How long has he had these signs?What is he bringing up in his vomit?When did he last eat? Will he drink and can he keep that down?Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?Has he had any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He ate yesterday morning but has thrown all of that up. The night before I gave him a small stick bone called digest-Eeze. No discomfort in him abdomen drinking a little but not much.his gums are pink. Nose is dry. When I pick him up he tenses his entire body. No diarrhea. Threw up yesterday morning, yesterday during the day once and this morning. I just rescued him last week from a shelter. He was fine until yesterday. Looks like his hind quarters is wobbly. Could have accidentally invested something but I don't know for sure
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** tell me if he chewed that bone to bits? Or could he have eaten large chunks?Was he walking crooked after vomiting or before?Does he have a head tilt at the moment? Has he been circling at all?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No circling, no head tilt. Chewed the bone in pieces. He was perfectly fine until yesterday morning. No wobbling no vomit, energetic.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** am glad to hear that he has chewed that to bits, since large pieces could get stuck in the stomach and cause irritation and the signs you are seeing. As well, I am glad to hear that he hasn't any of those other signs since his crooked walking could fit with low blood sugar and weakness after vomiting; but if he had had those other signs we'd also have had to be wary of vestibular disease, brain issues and middle ear infections. Anyway, with those other issues aside, we'd be suspicious that his lack of appetite is likely being triggered by the same nausea that is causing his vomiting. Therefore, we’d have consider this being caused by a possible bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items). With this all in mind, as long as he can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. First, if he is weak and walking odd, this could be a sign of a blood sugar crash. Therefore, we can try boosting his blood sugar by rubbing a sugary syrup (ie glucose syrup, honey, karo syrup, pancake syrup, or even non-grape jam) onto the gums. This will get some sugar into his and hopefully perk him up for us. Otherwise, to settle that nausea , as long as he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though be aware if you give this and he cannot keep it down that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet. Though if he can and steadies, we can then plan to start him with a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet. Since dehydration is a risk here, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue for him (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing. Since he could have eaten something he should not have, we do need to tread with care. Though as long as you don't see anything obvious he could have gotten into, we can start supportive care to settle Buddy's stomach. If he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Just checking in, how is everything going with Buddy?Dr. B.