Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog got into something or was bitten by something on Monday

Customer Question

My dog got into something or was bitten by something on Monday and her nose and jauls swelled up. We gave her benadryl and she got a little better but now she has swelling around her eye balls
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: No bleeding
JA: Phew. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lady and she is 3
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: She has diarrhea
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am very sorry to hear about poor Lady's swollen jowls and nose on Monday and now swelling around her eyes and loose stools.The most common cause of sudden facial/lip swelling or red spots and welts is an allergic reaction.This is usually related to an insect bite or sting. Sometimes we never figure out the cause because the bite/sting is covered up by diffuse swelling.Treatment is based upon stopping further allergic reaction with antihistamines like Benadryl and sometimes cortisone if the reaction progresses.You can give her Benadryl (diphenhydramine only don't use the combination products with decongestants or acetaminophen as they can be toxic for dogs) again at a dose of 1mg to 2mg per pound or one 25mg capsule per 15 to 25 pounds of body weight orally every 8 hours. You'll need to give it for at least 72 hours (3 days) to allow the allergen time to clear. If you stop too soon the reaction will recur. I suspect that is what happened in your girl's case. Her one dose was not enough. Dogs take a really high dose of antihistamines compared to people, so don't let the amount worry you. They require more than we do. This may make her a little sleepy.You can also apply a cool compress to the worst areas. The cool water/compress will close skin capillaries and reduce inflammation.And then you'll need to watch her closely for any progression of symptoms. That includes difficulty breathing, vomiting or uncontrollable diarrhea.The swelling/redness should resolve slowly over the next 12 to 24 hours.In extreme allergic reactions they can get shocky and collapse but you should see difficulty breathing and vomiting/diarrhea first. Those types of severe reactions are very rare.Most reactions are managed just fine with antihistamines alone.Because you know now that she has these types of reactions you should keep Benadryl on hand at all times.If you notice progression of her symptoms (difficulty breathing) don't wait, have her checked on an emergency basis.If you 'd like you can have a veterinarian check her now. They can give a cortisone injection which will lessen symptoms faster. But if she seems to be doing well then I would just call your veterinarian tomorrow and let them know so it is on her record for future reference.The other concern is that she may be being re-exposed to the allergen. So check your yard for signs of bees or wasps.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Kara
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 9 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to make sure that you didn't have any further questions for me, and I'd like to know how things turned out for your pup. If you found my response helpful please don't forget to rate it so I may receive credit for it, thank you, ***** *****