Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

After my dog exercises and then rests she limps when she gets

Customer Question

After my dog exercises and then rests she limps when she gets up, but it goes away with in a day.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Its been happening for a few months, she's very active and it only started happening after not playing a lot in the winter. Its her right rear leg. we can move all the joints and squeeze all the muscles without her reacting
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: How old is she? What breed?Is it always the same leg?Does she hold it up at all?Is she overweight?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
She's a two year old german shepard plott hound mix. It is always the same leg, sometimes she'll hold it up her first few steps, but not always, she always runs fine on it, its walking that gives her a problem. She's already better this morning but I'm afraid to let her play on it again. She's not overweight at all, probably because she's always running around like a crazy dog. Nothing looks swollen and like I said we can move all her joints and squeeze all her muscles without a reaction also she'll fold it all the way up or stretch it all the way out on her own, seemingly without pain.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** glad to hear that she isn’t overweight and that there are no signs of this being nerve, spinal, nor fracture based. As well, with her being a young dog, we’d be less worried about spinal or joint based arthritis. Though for her to have these intermittent signs ongoing for such a period of time does raise concerns does raise concerns of an underlying problem. Specifically, I’d be concerned that we could have hip dysplasia or possible bony remodelling in one of the joints of this leg. These changes are often subtle and not appreciable on palpation (we tend to need xray to see them). As well, though to a lesser extent we could see these signs if she has a severe persisting muscle strain, a partially torn cruciate ligament in her knee or patella luxation (where the groove for the knee cap is too shallow causing the knee cap to pop out). I say these are lesser concerns since usually they will have gait abnormalities at play/run. With these all in mind and how long she has had this ongoing, I would note that an xray would be ideal at this stage. It would allow us to access the changes that may be present in her leg. Depending on your vet’s findings, they can start her on joint supports (ie Duralactin, glucosamine, chondroitin, Adequan, etc) +/- anti-inflammatories to reduce any discomfort and inflammation. That way we can keep her mobile and playing as she should be able to at her age. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?