Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog cut his leg on a barbwire fence a little over a week

Customer Question

My dog cut his leg on a barbwire fence a little over a week ago it was near his paw and now he has a hematoma that is pretty large on his shoulder above the same leg, how should I treat it or will it just asbsorb back into the body
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is your dog bleeding a lot?
Customer: The wound did at first but I cleansed it with wound cleanser and applied Bactrian and gauze and taped it, he let it stay for a day, it has approximated well now just noticed the swelling today
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Casper year old
JA: How old is Casper?
Customer: He is 1 year old
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: The mass is soft and doesn't seem to be painful he is not limping
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help. Now we do need to tread with great care here. Generally speaking, hematomas tend to arise at the time of injury near the affected site and not afterwards higher up. To see this hematoma arise now at the shoulder is more suggestive of a recent second trauma (ie if he bumped or fell into something because of his being weak on this leg) or an abscess.Therefore, in regards ***** ***** question about reducing hematomas, we will want to restrict activity (perhaps just have short lead walks to do his business a few times daily) and start warm compressing the area. If you don't have a warm compress on hand, you can make a microwaveable one by filling a sock 2/3rd full with rice and popping it in the microwave for a few minutes (of course, do give it a shake afterwards to distribute the heat and make sure its not too warm before use). This will dilate local vessels and encourage reuptake of any blood or serum present. Of course, if it doesn't settle, we may need his local vet to sample the area +/- dispense antibiotics if pus is and confirms an abscess here.Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Just checking in, how is everything going with Casper?Dr. B.