Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

My 14 year old chihuahua is breathing very heavy. Like he is

Customer Question

my 14 year old chihuahua is breathing very heavy. Like he is trying to catch his breathe. He had the same symptom 3 days ago and gradually got back to normal.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
very lethargic as well.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
even though heavy breathing his mouth is closed.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Peanut has been breathing so heavy. I will do my best to help. I'm also sorry that your question has gone unanswered for so long - that's very unusual for this site. I just got online for the morning and see your question and don't want to leave you hanging waiting for a response, even if you don't need our help anymore. Labored/heavy breathing is often an emergency situation for a pet. Any respiratory rate (that's the number of breaths taken in a minute) over 40 breaths per minute can indicate substantial cardiac or respiratory disease that may require immediate life saving treatment. If you're seeing episodes of fast heavy breathing (even with mouth closed), I would definitely like you to have her examined by a veterinarian ASAP. This is especially true at Peanut's advanced age. The first thing I think of in a Chihuahua with labored breathing is going to be heart disease, followed by bronchitis or infections. She shouldn't be "out of breath" if she's not exercising - there is something going on. Please let me know what's going on this morning by replying so that we can continue to chat. Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)