Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My 7 year old Beagle has been acting a little strangely on

Customer Question

My 7 year old Beagle has been acting a little strangely on and off for about a week ... he is usually very precocious and robust. but has from time to time started "slinking" and pacing ... just acting anxious. One time I reached down to lightly pat his side and he yelped sharply. I see no signs of injury and the behavior stops after a day or so, only to return about 3-4 days later ... could it be arthritis or joint pain?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am very sorry to hear about your beagle! Given your description and the fact that she is a beagle, my first suspicion would be that she has a mild herniated disc in her back. This is when an intervertebral disc presses on the spinal cord and can cause pain and in some cases weakness (or even paralysis if severe). Often in mild cases we may see dogs who just don't seem to move comfortably or can't relax/seem anxious, or yelp for no apparent reason. Beagles are especially prone to this disease. Mild cases are usually treated with a combination of muscle relaxer, antinflammatory, and pain medication, as well as strict rest. Some dogs will have regular flare ups of this problem.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
he also seems a little indecisive when this is occurring ... very unlike him, he is the Alpha of two brothers from same litter and usually is the household 'protector'.
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
He could feel indecisive because he is anticipating pain and feeling as if he is in a weaker,more vulnerable position.
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
/ Hello, just wondering if you got my response about possible herniated discs in your dog? I am going to sign off here in a few minutes and want to be sure you didn't have any other questions?