Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog was recently diagnosed with kidney disease. He spent

Customer Question

My dog was recently diagnosed with kidney disease. He spent 2 days at the vet getting IV therapy and was sent home of a k/d diet by Hills. Should he have been placed on phosphorous binders? A potassium supplement? He won't drink water also
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 8 months ago.
Hi my name is***** and I am licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question, but first I would like to ask you a few questions so that I am well informed about your pets’ situation and can give you the best advice possible. I am sorry to hear that your pet was recently diagnosed with kidney disease. I have a lot of experience dealing with pets with this condition and will do my best to help. Typically phosphorous binders are recommended only if the pets phosphorous levels on bloodwork were elevated. Potassium supplements are contraindicated in kidney patients because typically elevated phosphorous is the issue and not decreased phosphorous.Were his levels elevated? Do you happen to have a copy of his bloodwork for me to analyze? Also when was the last time he drank water? - Dr. H
Expert:  Drhollowayvet replied 7 months ago.
Hi this is Dr. H again. I see that you had a chance to review my initial reply to your question but have yet received a reply back from you. If you still need assistance I am here, just return to the chat and I will be more than happy to continue the conversation to best help you and your pet!- Dr. H