Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

We would like to get a companion 6 mo old puppy who

Customer Question

We would like to get a companion for our 6 mo old puppy who had parvo and fully recovered. However, I've been researching the parvo virus can live for up to one year in the yard and house. Do we need to wait 1+ years to get another dog or just ensure the dog we bring home has been vaccinated for parvo?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Parvo prevention....our yard was exposed to parvo. Do we need to wait 1+ years to bring home another puppy or just ensure new puppy has been vaccinated against parvo?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 6 months ago.
Hi this is Dr. Gabby.The parvo can live in the environment for up to 2 years.You can bring home a dog who has been fully vaccinated against parvo.So that means at least three parvo virus vaccines given 3-4 weeks apart.Most adult dogs over the age of one have already completed their puppy series of parvo vaccines so they are immune to the parvo virus.Plus adult dogs have more mature and more effective immune systems.So yes, you can get an adult dog who has been fully vaccinated now.You do not have to wait years.Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?