Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

My dog a (rat terrier mix) seems to have a lack of energy

Customer Question

Hello My dog a (rat terrier mix) seems to have a lack of energy she won't jump on her chair
and seems kinda sad and always wants to sleep, I suspect she might have been bitten by an insect although I cant see any bites or marks and she has a weeze like she has allergys or cold any ideas
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm really sorry to hear that Luna is acting oddly tonight. I will do my best to help How long has she been acting this way? Is she eating and drinking OK? What makes you suspect an insect bite or sting? Lethargy (a lack of energy) is about the most vague sign in the book. That is to say that lethargy can indicate a wide array of diseases from mild problems all the way to life threatening ones. I'm afraid that lethargy isn't indicative of any one disease, but rather a vague symptom that can indicate just about anything. A reluctance to jump up on things can be a little more specific especially if it seems that she's painful. Dogs can get sore backs just like we can - the most common way that I see them present is for vague "unwell" symptoms like lethargy and a reluctance to jump or climb stairs. On physical exam, a dog with a sore back often is standing hunched up or guards their spine or reacts when I touch their back. Wheezing can be due to a mild upper respiratory infection (like a cold) or due to stress, heart disease, tracheal and laryngeal issues, or just plain not feeling well. Unfortunately, the symptoms that she is showing you are so broad that they could be caused by just about anything. I'm afraid that if she's not improving, you'll need to have her examined by a veterinarian to help pinpoint the issue.Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Luna. How is everything going?

Doc Sara