Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.

My bulldog has been vomiting a mucusy partially digested food

Customer Question

my bulldog has been vomiting a mucusy partially digested food a few hours after eating ,then tries to eat it.Took him to my vet and was puzzled as to what could be the problem.Taking him again April 27th.Any ideas?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I'm sorry to hear about Hemi's vomiting up a large amount of mucous and partially digested food hours after eating.Is this active vomiting (retching with abdominal contractions) or does it seem to passively flow back out with not much effort (which is regurgitation)?How long after eating does the food come back?Does this seem to happen more after exercise or can it be any time?Are his food and water bowls elevated or flat on the ground? You might try elevating his food and water bowls and making him stay in an upright position (front paws up on a chair back or table) after eating and drinking to allow gravity to help pull the food and liquids down into his stomach. Some Bulldogs have redundant folds in their esophagus as well as skin folds. This allows food and mucous to get trapped and can cause it to be vomited or regurgitated later.Bulldogs can also have a herniation of the stomach up into the esophagus which blocks food from getting through properly. This is called a hiatal hernia. They can be born with varying degrees of being affected and may show no signs of it until later in life as the stomach herniates more frequently or to a greater degree. This is called a hiatal hernia.If he seems to be regurgitating (passive outflow) rather than vomiting (active retching with abdominal contractions) then this can be an early sign of a condition called megaesophagus.Megaesophagus is a condition where the esophagus is dilated and has weak muscles. Food may sit in it and be passively regurgitated back up, sometimes several hours after eating. The mucous that you are seeing may be esophageal mucous collected around the food when the food sits in his esophagus for a period of time. Megaesophagus can be secondary to nerve damage from pulling on the collar/leash too much as well as nerve damage from a foreign body in the esophagus, it can also be due to a low functioning adrenal gland (addison's disease), hypothyroidism or a condition called Dysautonomia. Sometimes it can be caused by a mass in the chest affecting the nerves that control esophageal function. Your veterinarian can do a test called a barium swallow to see how his esophagus works. He'll be given barium orally and then a series of radiographs can be taken to see how it passes through his esophagus and stomach.And they will likely want to check some blood tests as well. I would want to check a biochemistry profile and thyroid profile, looking for things we can treat. Here is a link to a very good article about megaesophagus: is a link to read about hiatal hernias if you would like: For now you can try using acid reducing medications to see if they help by decreasing esophageal burn and reflux. You can use either:1) Pepcid-ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tab per 20 to 40 pounds of body weight every 12 hoursOR2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 20mg tab per 40 to 80 pounds of body weight every 24 hours.These are acid reducers and should help settle his stomach and decrease the reflux if this is related to gastroesophageal reflux. They are very safe and can be used as needed with him. I would also recommend feeding him in an upright position and having him stay in an upright position after eating or drinking for at least 15 minutes or so after eating and drinking. Best of luck with your Hemi, please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****