Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

In need of another opinion. My dog Baby (She is a Yorkie-Poo

Customer Question

In need of another opinion. My dog Baby (She is a Yorkie-Poo and just turned 4) is at the hospital right now. She has been acting funny lately. Shaking, mucus in her stool, bloating stomach, and losing hair. Last night every time she ate she vomited, so my mom and I took her to the hospital. They were able to drain the fluid from her stomach, and said tests came back she possibly has liver toxicity and her adrenal glands were very small. We are waiting for another vet to call us back after more tests. Before they do more tests they asked if we wanted to put her down because of the price, and also possibility of liver disease. From the symptoms I have described is there any other idea of what could possibly be wrong? I'm so worried. Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I am not set up to do phone calls but would be happy to answer any questions you do have online. In order to give an informative and concise answer, it may take a few minutes before I respond back to you, so don't be alarmed if you don't hear back immediately if you have responded back to me within 10 minutes of my response. I do have a couple more questions, though, to see if I can better assess your situation.I am assuming she had routine blood work. Do you know how high her liver enzymes were?Any other abnormalities on the blood work?What did the fluid look like that they collected from her abdomen? Did they send it to the lab for a fluid analysis?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Unfortunately right now we don't know the answers to that. But I can try to find that out for you. I apologize.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.
Thanks. That would be very helpful if you could.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Dr i apologize for the delay. Baby was sent home from hospital yesterday. still not sure what is wrong. she is going to see an internal specialist on tuesday. i attached photos of her test results. thank you.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for the test results. It is only a copy of the urinalysis and urine protein:creatinine ratio, though. There were no other blood work results. Do you have all the other tests results? This should include some blood work that would have her liver enzymes (among other values) evaluated. It may also include a fluid analysis of the what they pulled out of her abdominal cavity. The only thing I can get from the urinalysis is that there is a lot of bilirubin in the urine, which is typically due to severe liver issues or hemolytic anemia and a high urine protein:creatinine, which is usually due to kidney problems or inflammation in the bladder. If you have the other lab work, that would be extremely helpful.