Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My dog suddenly has her swollen and she is in pain. JA:

Customer Question

my dog suddenly has her butt swollen and she is in pain.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She was doing fine on Sunday until next morning she was crying when I carry her to give her a hug, I thought it was her legs but I realized that was her butt. Today I look her Anal part and is swollen and red. She is not as active as usually. I am worrying about her.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 7 months ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.This sounds concerning for your dog. But I need to clarify what is swollen. If you can attach a picture using the paperclip icon this may be very helpful. Is the actual anus swollen/prolapsed or is there a swollen area next to the anus that is swollen? Very different problems.Thanks for giving me a bit more information.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Right side of anus
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for the picture; very helpful.Oh, this poor thing. This looks like a swollen, infected/impacted anal sac. These are quite painful. Some dogs may cry out or be reluctant to sit or even defecate with this. It is something that necessitates a visit to see the veterinarian. It might rupture on its own prior to this and start to drain the fluid and pus that has accumulated, but it still will require antibiotics and pain relief to treat. At home, if she will allow you to touch this you could do some warm packing of the area until you get her seen, but be careful not to burn her skin.I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 7 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Joey
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She is doing better
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 7 months ago.
I am so happy to hear she is better. Hopefully she continues to do better today. If she has something serious such as neck pain then this will persist and probably worsen.Please keep me posted.