Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

My 5 week old pom has soft poop but has a lot of trouble getting

Customer Question

My 5 week old pom has soft poop but has a lot of trouble getting it out. I have tried milk, mineral oil, this is an every day thing and I'm concerned
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your Pom. So is she having diarrhea? Or the stool is just softer than usual? Has she had a fecal exam done to check for intestinal parasites? Does she have a large amount of hair around her bottom? Sometimes feces can start to get stuck in the hair on these guys and get matted, making it difficult for more poop to come out, want to be sure that isn't the issue!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Her poop is soft like the rest of the litter. I trimmed all hair away. She just squats and goes round and round and nothing until after several tries. She has not had any diarrhea. And I have been worming them weekly. Have not been outside
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Ok. I would perhaps try adding a little fiber to her diet, you can give a small amount of canned pumpkin to see if it will help firm up her stool. She may be having a hard time getting it out because it isn't fully formed. I would start with just a 1/8 or 1/4 of a teaspoon a day to begin with since she is likely so tiny.