Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian

My shih tzu /maltese has goop around his one eye. He has been

Customer Question

My shih tzu /maltese has goop around his one eye. He has been around a highly shedding dog for about the last 5 or 6 months in his kennel at night, I just noticed today that is was bad so I put a warm cloth on it and got some of it taken care of. What else can I do? Can I maybe give him a half of a benedryl or something to cure it?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your pup. Can you tell me what color the discharge is? Does his eye look at all red or swollen? Does he rub at it or squint the eye alot?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He does rub it but it is not red it kind of looks like snot, not to be gross, but it is more yellow green than anything.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He does squint it also.
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Ok. If it is yellow or green in color, then this can be a sign of an infection and the safest thing for him would be to have your vet take a look at it. There is no over the counter antibiotic eye ointment. Your vet will want to be sure there isn't an ulcer on the eye (very common in these dogs), check to be sure there isn't an abnormally growing eyelash causing the irritation, and also potentially measure your dog's tear production. Some dogs can develop dry eye and if the don't produce enough tears they can get a thick mucous in the eye and sometimes a secondary infection. The vet can prescribe medication for this if needed. If they suspect it is just allergies, then they can give you a topical steroid (once again, these are prescription only unfortunately). In the meantime, you can get just a saline based eye wash to rinse the eye daily to remove any discharge and irritants, and you can get some lubricating eye drops that you can use a few times a day in case the eye is getting to dried out, such as these: . Benadryl may help some of these guys, but often a topical treatment is needed. Here is a link to an article with info on benadryl if you decide to try it, I do recommend consulting your vet first to be sure they feel it is ok for your dog, since they know his history best:
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck!!!