jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

How do you help a couple of dogs from a miscarriage?

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 7 months ago.
Hi JaCustomer, My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today. In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient. Was a necropsy done on any of the pups?Were all the pups lost?Did your vet suggest a reason for the pups to not make it?Were they born early? If so, how early were the pups?What do you mean by bred another one with the same problem?How is the dam acting?how long has it been since the pups died?When you say they are unable to intertwine with the other dogs, do you mean the female has been unable to tie with a different male?If you have any other Information you would like me to know, please include that as well.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
pre mature of 2-3 weeks. necropsy? Not taking notes, 4-5 days. How many times suggested for a dog to bred? Male and female indoors. (what a sight). How long for the depression of not eating from Perina dog chow recall. Smokers.
Thanks for the additional information. It is helpful. There is a bacteria called Brucellosis that can cause early deliver, abortion and miscarriage of puppies late in a pregnancy. I would have your dog tested for this before breeding her again. If she tests positive, you will also want to have the previous stud dog tested to as this is sexually transmitted. You can read more about this condition on the following site.http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/canine-brucellosis/3963 Herpes can also cause a dog to abort late in pregnancy and for pups born alive to die within the first 2 weeks. You can read about herpes here:http://www.2ndchance.info/herpesvirusdog.htm If herpes, then the next litter shouldn't be a problem as it only affects the current litter when mom initially gets herpes. Subsequent litters are fine. Herpes is seldom a big deal in an adult dog and only affects the one pregnancy. Normally you start breeding a dog at around 18 - 24 months of age. It is recommended that you skip one heat cycle between litters. I also would not breed her past 6-7 years of age for a large dog. If your female is not eating and it has been 4-5 days since she miscarried, you need to have her seen to ensure there are no retained placentas or pups that are causing a uterine infection. Your vet can determine this pretty quickly and recommend a treatment plan. It might involve oxytocin to stimulate contractions to help her expel anything still inside and antibiotics if necessary. If your dogs were eating a food that was recalled, it is imperative that you have your dogs seen by your vet for treatment. You can read about recalls here: http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recalls/ Dogs are not like humans. While they might search for the pups for a day or two, there is usually not an emotional response to losing their pups. Keep the dogs to their normal routine and she should recover quickly from the change in hormones. At this point, given your posts on a loss of appetite and possible uterine infection and sexually transmitted disease, I'd have your vet examine at least the female to determine she is fine. I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Abortion interesting term. Herpes in dogs? The question is how many times is recommended to bred?
If you start at 2 years of age and breed until the dog is 6-7 years of age, you are talking 5-6 pregnancies. As for herpes, I did include the site that talks about the herpes virus in dogs.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Can you elaborate or define Brucellosis? Also, breeders only take 1-2 breeds, is it normal to having a series of breeding in a row? And would that matter?
Brucellosis is generally a sexually transmitted disease spread in the bodily fluids of the vagina or semen. There are small amount in other bodily fluids but generally dogs catch it through the mating process or attempted matings. Once a dog is infected, if they have contact with another dog sexually, the infection can be spread. Once your dog is infected, they are usually sterile since it leads to infertility or miscarriage. I'm not sure what you mean by breeders only take 1-2 breeds. If you mean breeders only own one or two different breeds, that is generally true, though puppy mills will have numerous breeds. Since a females eggs are present at birth, they age along with the female. So less reputable breeders often will start a dog breeding as early as possible (1 year) and breed her every heat cycle until they are less fiertile and often will continue to breed until birth defects start occurring. Reputable breeders tend to wait until a female is mature in body and mind and allow her the time between litters for her body to recover between pregnancies, thus skipping a heat cycle leading to once a year pregnancies if a dog is going into heat every 6 months or so. So it is possible to breed with every heat cycle but it would be like a human have a baby every year. It would take a toll on the body.
Hi again. Just writing to find out if you found all the information I supplied helpful.