Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

I have an 8 week old pup and his stomach is really bloated.

Customer Question

Hello. I have an 8 week old pup and his stomach is really bloated. He has had his first shots and also been dewormed but he is still bloated
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Tiger
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No nothing else
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hello. This is not too uncommon in puppies. The most common cause is intestinal parasites. I would probably give a 3 day course of Panacur as opposed to the one time Pyrantel. I find that it works better to rid the gut of parasitic worms. Round worms are very common in puppies and they are a typical cause of abdominal distension. I would also repeat the Panacur dewormer every 3-4 weeks until he is 4 months old. As long as he's eating and defecating ok, it's not an emergency, but that is what I would do for now. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hi Stephanie,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?