Dr. G.
Dr. G., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Private Practice Veterinarian
71397578

My name is ***** ***** I have a dog with a sarcoma on the outside

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** I have a dog with a sarcoma on the outside of his mouth tat is bleeding heavily. It seems to be hurting him and it has never bled so much before. Is there anyway to stop it bleeding?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I need to stop the bleeding. There id no point in removing the sarcoma as it would entail removing all his lower jaw.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will try and help you as best as I can. Please allow a few minutes for me to read your responses and for me to respond back.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 8 months ago.
I am sorry to hear your dog is having this problem. Stopping the bleeding at home is going to be mainly via direct pressure. Application of an ice pack can sometimes help to close up the vessels to slow down bleeding as well as applying styptic powder (available at pet stores). You can apply cornstarch or flour to try to control the bleeding, however if it continues to bleed with ice and styptic powder, you likely will need to head to the vet to have the area cauterized or for them to apply silver nitrate to the area. Yunnan Baiyao can be very helpful to prevent bleeding and I recommend using that daily. Your vet likely can get this for you or you can order it online as a capsule.
Expert:  Dr. G. replied 8 months ago.
You can also try applying a bandage to the area, however that may be a little difficult given the location of the tumor. An elizabethan collar may also help just to avoid any self trauma from pawing at the tumor, which would help to prevent self induced bleeding.