Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My corgi was eating a irregularly shaped jerky treat when I

Customer Question

My corgi was eating a irregularly shaped jerky treat when I noticed every time he put pressure (bit into) the jerky his eye popped out. Not completely, just bulged about 1/4 of an inch. No one believed me (including my vet) because I didn't have a picture. Advice?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Was it just one eye/side?Was it only with jerky and no other foods?Does he have any asymmetry of his face normally? Does it look more swollen or is the eye more prominent on this side?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
his eye is now more red than the other and they don't blink at the same time. He's constantly winking.It was just with the jerky, only one eye. It was circular and he was biting it at an angle that pushed an end into his eye socket.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you,So, he is blinking more with this eye?Any tearing, discharge, or haze/clouding to the cornea of this eye?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He has "tears" in the affected eye, and has discharge. I was told this is probably allergies. Putting both together that seems ridiculous.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you again,Now it will take me a moment to type out all of my thoughts about this eye. So, I will post again shortly (just want to let you know so you don't think I ran away).Speak to you again in a moment,Dr. B.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
More information: he doesn't act like he is in any pain, and the only signs are physical redness and discharge. The bulging only happened once but seems to have a lasting effect.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think it is an infection, but beyond that I am wondering if there are any bigger problems I should be worried about.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Thank you again, Now the reason why I suspect your vet wasn’t sure about this is because the eyeball sits in a bony socket (orbital). So, just the act of chewing anything should not push up through the bone and move the eye. So, the jerky is likely innocent but has unmasked another issue. Specifically, we can see periobital space occupying lesions sit next to the eye, put pressure on it, and take up space. Examples of this would be abscesses, hematoma (blood blister), soft tissue inflammation, and growths (benign and cancerous). If one of these are present, then that chewing could put pressure on it and in turn the eye. And I have to say that if he is blinking more, has tearing and discharge; this makes me concerned that something is pressing on the back or side of the eye and he isn’t able to fully blink and spread the tear film over the eye properly. When that happens, we see tearing in one eye and we also see irritation or even ulcers at the midline of the eyeball (the point where the eyelids meet and are not gaining full closure since the eye is being pushed a wee bit forward. Overall, I do share your concern here. It may be that the lesion pushing the eye forward is quite small and therefore only causes these day to day mild signs; but the jerky incident raises concerns that it may be growing and may be starting to put more pressure and could cause future issue. Therefore, we’d not want to just assume its allergies (which should affect both eyes if present) and an xray +/- CT may be ideal here to determine what is present so we can address it for your wee one. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 7 months ago.
Hi Emily,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Ein. How is everything going?

nekovet