Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My dog won't eat (slowly ate less and less a week,

Customer Question

My dog won't eat (slowly ate less and less for about a week, now he ate nothing this morning), his nose has been really dry for about a week. I took him for a walk and he laid down half way through, I've never been able to out walk him. He is a 7 year old Austrian shepherd boarder collie mix. But he's is about 100 pounds, so I thing he might be a bernes mountain dog. What can I do? He is also throwing up!
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. Is he drinking? More or less?Any breathing changes? Did he seem out of breath on his walk?Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?Has he had any diarrhea?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He drinks a lot, always has. No changes in breathing, he is just trying to sleep. On the walk he was very out of breath
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Gums are pink, moist, but I do see some weird white stuff on his tongue.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** would say that the drinking is the same as usual for him at the moment?White stuff is allowed, but did you happen to notice if they were as pink as now on that walk?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I pressed on his belly and its tight. He gralwed at me. But to be honest he will do that if you bother him sleeping
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I didn't notice on the walk, it was very dark. his gums look normal though.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** very careful there. If that is normal for him to do wen sleeping that is fine; but if he is doing that when you have him up later then it would raise worries of belly pain being present here and would be an indicator to have him seen urgently. Otherwise, the reason I asked about his gum color when you were on that walk is because while we can see exhaustion when a dog is unwell make them lay down on walk; it can also be an early stage sign of heart issues. So, we need to keep an eye on that. Now in regards ***** ***** appetite decline, this is likely being triggered by the very same nausea that caused his vomiting. In regards ***** ***** causes for that we need to consider include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (hopefully less likely at his age). With this all in mind, as long as he can keep water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, Zantac (More Info/Dose @, or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Though I’d note that if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet. Though if he can and settles, we can then try tempting with small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet. Since dehydration is a risk even if he is drinking, so we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE ( If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue for him (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). Overall, we do have some concerns for what you are seeing with your lad. His vomiting tells us that its nausea that is causing that steady decline of appetite. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to settle his stomach for him. If he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be there (a concern if he is sore) or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat him with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach, and get him back feeling like himself. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My biggest worry is he a very aggressive dog to anyone he doesn't know. Vets being his most hated. His breathes are very loud, I was able to put my finger around his gums. They are dry but still pink red
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Skin tent test seems ok
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,Well, hopefully we can get his stomach settled with the above. Especially since those dry gums are an early stage dehydration sign. Otherwise, his local vet will be familiar with handling aggressive dogs and will be able to at least treat him. Though if they hear anything odd in his chest, they may need to sedate for an xray to make sure there isn't also anything going on in his heart and lungs (though that would be another issue since it won't be related to his nausea). Still, try the above to start while keeping a close eye and hopefully we can get him feeling a bit better.All the best,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
My roommate just mentioned he isn't sure but he might have eaten his alieve around 14 hours ago before he left for work. He had it on his nightstand while showering, but isn't really that sure it was there. Cooper isn't know to eat that stuff, as he sniffs everything and if it doesn't smell good he won't touch it. But just in case I'm asking you if he might be showing signs of eating that
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Oh dear,While that is much too recent to explain all his signs, it is not good news. This is quite a dangerous drug for dogs and can cause serious stomach ulcers if eaten. So, if there is any chance he did or if you happen to notice that his gums are paling, his stools are black or his vomit looks like coffee grounds; then we have a stomach ulcer concern and that would need to be treated by his vet no matter how unhappy Cooper may be about that.All the best,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Oh god I just read about it. How can I check?? If he got one it has to have already dissolved in his system. Is there a chance that he will be ok cause he is so large??
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,I know, this is a serious worry. In 14 hours, it certainly would have fully absorbed so there is no countering it at this point (we'd have needed your roommate to have reported this within the first 2 hours to have intervened). In regards ***** ***** those signs I noted before are all the ones that we'd expect with an active bleeding stomach ulcer. Otherwise, in regards ***** ***** can you tell me how much he weighs and what milligrams of the Aleve was there?Dr. B.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
220 mg and he is between 90 and 105 lbs
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Ok, in that case, we'd need to consider the lower side of the weight when calculating but that translates to a 5.3mg/kg dose. That is 2.5x more than the safe dose range when this drug is used in dogs. So, while it likely isn't high enough to cause kidney failure, the stomach ulcer concern is really an issue here. So, it has done him no favors with that appetite decline and may even be why he is now off food and possibly has a sore belly. So, its a real shame that your roommate didn't mention this when it happened and it means we need to tread with even more care since we cannot look into the stomach without a scope. And with this additional risk, the antacids are still indicated and will help; but if this was my patient (no matter how naughty) I would want to see them at this point to ensure we head off any serious ulcer risks.All the best,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I'm assuming I can go buy that stuff at a 24 hr cvs near me. But how do I get him to eat the pill?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,Yes, they are all OTC and should be carried by CVS. In regards ***** ***** it, we either need to do so directly or it can be crushed, mixed with water and syringe fed between his inner cheek and teeth to get it into him.Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, please don’t forget to rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page. Thank you for your feedback!: )