Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have to clean my cats wound with Betadine according to the

Customer Question

I have to clean my cats wound with Betadine according to the vet. I can't find Betadine only Bactine. Will that do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 8 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that you are having trouble finding Betadine.Betadine is a trade name for povidine iodine solution, which is readily available at any drug store for purchase without a prescription.Here is a link to show you several povidine iodine solution products available at CVS: http://www.cvs.com/search/N-3mZ2k?searchTerm=povidone+iodine&searchType=2&typeAheadTerm=povidone+iodine+in+All+DepartmentsAnother option for cleaning wounds is an antibacterial cleaner called Hibiclens. That too is widely available for purchase without a prescription.If you cannot find an open drug store tonight then you can use a dilute solution of antibacterial liquid hand soap and warm water. That too is a good option in a pinch.I would not use Bactine. It has benzalkonium as an antispetic which is highly irritating and no more effective at cleaning a wound and killing bacteria then any of the other options I gave.Best of luck with your kitty, I hope this information helps.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 7 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****