How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Kara Your Own Question
Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 14561
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Kara is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 20 pounds dog ate an small amout of orthoboric acid. What

Customer Question

My 20 pounds dog ate an small amout of orthoboric acid. What can i do?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Buddy and he is 14 years old
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: That all.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Submitted: 6 months ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to hear that 20 pound Buddy ingested a little orthoboric acid (also known as Borax or boric acid). My apologies that you have been waiting for a response. Nights can be very busy and I responded as soon as I came online and saw your questionOrthoboric acid (sodium tetraborate) is a fairly safe chemical. It is a desiccant, which is how it works on insects, but a dog would have to eat huge quantities to even see stomach upset and that would be the only thing you are likely to see. It is likely Buddy will have no effects, or very mild effects from taking a few licks .You should not need to do anything unless you see symptoms.If he seems to have mild stomach upset you can feed a bland homemade diet consisting of 1/3 boiled, lean hamburger or boiled, white, skinless chicken, all fats and juices drained off the meat, and 2/3 white rice.Signs that things aren't going well, and he needs an immediate veterinary visit, are vomiting, a tense painful belly, lack of an appetite, a fever (more than 103.5F rectally) and lethargy. But if he didn't eat much that shouldn't happen, no worries he will very likely be fine.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 6 months ago.
Hello, I wanted to check in and see if you had any further questions after reading my response. If you do please feel free to respond with them. If not and you found my information helpful please remember to rate my response positively so I may receive credit for my work thank you, ***** *****