Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I think my dog is having trouble peeing, what can I do to help

Customer Question

I think my dog is having trouble peeing, what can I do to help her, she's 80 lbs.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today. When she strains is she passing any urine at all?How many hours has it been since she last passed any urine?When she does, does the urine look normal?Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, when she did pee it did look fine, but a lot of it. It's been now maybe 10 to15 hrs. since she has pee and her belly is full.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Her gums are a little pail. She is drinking a lot of water so I stopped letting her have it. She keeps trying to pee.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** have to say I am quite concerned about Cassie.Her inability/straining to urinate and then passing large volumes at her age raises some serious worries. Specifically, I'd be worried that her signs are related to intermittent blockage. At her age, the main concerns for this would be a bladder stone or bladder tumor. Especially since cystitis, abdominal tumors pressing on her urethra, or urinary crystals would cause her to continually strain while passing small volumes and metabolic/organ issues would just cause her to drink large volumes and pass large volumes without straining. With these concerns, I do feel that we'd want to have her examined by her vet +/- the bladder ultrasounded at this stage. That way we can see what is causing these signs and tackle it appropriately. For stones, some can be dissolved with diet and medical management. Though some do need to be surgically removed. For bladder masses, some can be removed surgically and others can at least be shrunk with medication. Overall, Cassie's signs are a real worry. Their intermittent nature rules out a lot of our more common issues and instead suggests one of these more serious issues is present and to blame. Therefore, we'd want to be proactive here and get to the root as this as quickly as possible so we can address this for her. Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. *Please make sure to rate my service afterwards, as this is the only way I receive credit for helping you today. Thank you! : )