Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My mini dachaund was outside had trouble getting in the house

Customer Question

My mini dachaund was outside had trouble getting in the house so we picked him up. He screamed and his left rear leg is like dragging. Can't support his walking at all. He's not crying but has had no water or food for hours. Is it broken his leg dislocated ?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 months ago.
Hi. My name is***** I'm very sorry to hear about this situation with Oscar. It sounds like he's in a lot of pain. In a situation with those clinical signs and him being a min-dachshund, I would have the following things on my list of rule outs. Disc rupture, dislocated hip, broken bone in that leg, torn ligaments in that leg such as an ACL or common calcaneon tendon. The most common thing at my ER that looks similar to what you're seeing in the disc rupture where a disc in the back is putting pressure on the spinal cord which causes pain and paresis of one or both of the rear legs. With how serious of discomfort he is in, it is going to be my best recommendation to get him to your vet / ER clinic to have him evaluated to see what they feel is going on.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I'm taking him in tomorrow
The best you can do at home right now then is to have him in a very quiet, confined area where he can just rest until you can get him seen. Ideally he's seen as soon as possible. Rest and confinement are the extent of what can be done by owners at home.