Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

I have a 8 week old puppy that has lost a lo t of weight an

Customer Question

I have a 8 week old puppy that has lost a lo t of weight an don't really eat or drink belly is real big an he is week
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.Again I do apologize that my colleagues could not aid you sooner, but can you tell me: How long has he had these signs?Any gagging, retching, lip licking, vomiting, or diarrhea?When was he wormed?Does the belly feel hard, fluidy, or sore?Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?Any breathing changes?Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, plants, chemicals, etc)?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hi there gums are pink he has diarrhea belly not hard didn't eat anything but puppy food an this started a week ago today. I have him worm medicine on Friday
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Gave worm medicine on Friday morning
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Thank you,First, I am glad to hear that those gums are pink, as this rules out anemia and blood loss. Hopefully, his breathing is normal too (since heart issues could cause the signs we are seeing). If that those two issues can be ruled out, he has had diarrhea and now has a bloated fluidy belly despite worming; then we'd be worried that he has a severe imbalance in his body's proteins (hypoalbuminemia). When this happens, these puppies start leaking fluid from their blood vessels into the body to cause the belly distension you are seeing. If this is left, they can actually collapse on us. Just to note, these tend to be the side effect of all the protein loss in the diarrhea. Therefore, often there is an ongoing diarrhea issue (ie bacteria, viruses, protozoa, parasites, etc) that also needs to be addressed. And it is quite possible that when we have diarrhea, we can also have nausea which makes them unwilling to eat for us. With all this in mind and how advanced this sounds, I must say that it'd be ideal to have him seen now. His local vet can confirm our concerns, diagnose the cause or the diarrhea, and give an IV infusion of plasma proteins to help undo the signs that we are seeing. And this would be our best way of getting this sorted as quickly as possible and getting him back to normal. Of course, until you have him seen you can try some supportive care. First, since his appetite is poor, you can consider starting him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk).There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset and diarrhea. If he refuses, then we may need to syringe feed using watered down calorie rich diets (ie Hills A/D,Royal Canin Recovery diet, even canned puppy food) or use a liquid diet (ie Clinicare, Dogsure). As well, there are paste supplements (ie Nutrical) that can also be used. And these will all get more in per bite even if we cannot get much in. As well, since dehydration is a risk with diarrhea and refusal to drink, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there area few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a"skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE( If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue for him (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell). And if he isn't vomiting, we can syringe fluids as well (aiming for a daily dose of 48ml per kilogram of his weight plus an amount to match his losses in the diarrhea) using Pedialyte or a pet rehydration product (ie Lectaid, Resorb). Finally, as long as there is no blood in those stools,you can consider trying a pet safe anti-diarrheal. As I am sure you appreciate,these would not be a cure for infectious issues; but it can still be of benefit. It will reduce diarrhea load, allow the body to absorb more water/nutrients, and soothe the upset gut. In regards ***** ***** options, the one we most commonly use is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ is available OTC at most pharmacies. Otherwise, Propectalin, Canikur, Fast Balance, and Protexin Pro-Fiber (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores,and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhea and those last ones have the added bonus of providing support to the delicate good GI bacteria. So, these can be used as a short-term means of soothing his upset GI. Overall, I am quite worried to hear about your wee one's signs. This is highly suggestive of diarrhea getting our of control an causing secondary protein imbalance. Therefore, since he is so poorly, we need to be aggressive to get to the root of his signs at this point. you can use the above to slow the diarrhea and keep him supported, but the sooner we pinpoint the cause and get him onto specific treatment, then the better the chance to get him through this. Please take care,Dr. B. -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So you don't think he have worms but something else causing this problem.I there any kind of medicine that will help his stomach go back to normal
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 6 months ago.
Hi again,A severe worm burden could cause the belly distension and diarrhea but it would not appetite loss. And if you wormed him last week and they were to blame, we'd expect him to be improving by now. Since he isn't, you can use the above treatments I mentioned to stop his losses and give his body a chance to cope (and the belly will go down as we do), but if it severe then he may need an IV plasma protein treatment to help that happen quicker.Please take care,Dr. B.-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )