Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian

My dog devloped a red non bumpy rash in his groin area, I think

Customer Question

My dog devloped a red non bumpy rash in his groin area, I think it's from the large amount of flowering dafadils in back yard. I washed the area with oatmeal shampoo, he's not scratching it. Any thoughts?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog! Has he had any allergy issues before? So it is just red in color, no bumps, pustules, or scabs? And otherwise he is normal? Not licking at the area? If that is the case you could try treating it topically with a hydrocortisone spray or cream twice daily. I like to put it on just before I feed them or take them for a walk, because then they can't lick it off before it is absorbs. If any scabs, crusts,pustules, etc. develop, those would be signs of a secondary bacterial infection being present that may require an antibiotic prescription from your vet.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Never had a rash before, He's part catahoula/ boxer and always has a pink/ red belly, he's a hot dog .There is one spot / bump above his pubis but he's not licking it and acting fine.
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
I would do the hydrocortisone then, and put a little triple antibiotic ointment (i.e. neosporin) on the bump several times a day. If things worsen, or more bumps appear, then a vet visit is needed, but hopefully this is a mild allergy and will resolve with topical treatments! Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Hi Lisa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about L.B.. How is everything going?

Jessica Keay