Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

He is a rescue schnauzer who goes with any other dog than

Customer Question

he is a rescue schnauzer who goes nuts with any other dog than his companion a submissive schnoodle...when he is in this rage, he does not hear or see and could bite me..I am looking for some drug to help him
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Angus and he is around 8
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: nothing is known of his first few years but he has not learned how to win friends or influence people...his incessant barking and hysteria probably led to his abandonment
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. The anticonvulsants such as phenobarbital, clonazepam, clorazepate, and carbamazepine can be useful when there's an epileptic-like component to the behavior or when sporadic behavior changes with no obvious stimuli (e.g., so-called "rage" syndromes) exist. You've identified a stimulus, however, in the form of any dog except his housemate. In these cases, a serotonin re-uptake inhibitor (SSRI) such as fluoxetine can be considered. Published studies on the use of fluoxetine have shown an improvement in dominance aggression in dogs. Since the primary effect of clomipramine is also the inhibition of serotonin reuptake, it may be equally as effective as SSRIs.It's important, however, not to rely on any drug when aggressive behavior needs to be curtailed. Drug therapy should always be combined with behavioral reconditioning under the guidance of a specialist veterinary behaviorist as can be found here: Such a specialist can prescribe these drugs while a dog trainer can't. The specialist will also clarify which type or combination of types of aggression exist in Angus and tailor therapy designed just for him. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.