Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My 4 month old chocolate lab had normal lab ears until 2 weeks

Customer Question

My 4 month old chocolate lab had normal lab ears until 2 weeks ago. Now his ears are kind of "perked up" near the head. I do know that he is teething big time. His ears are clean as a whistle but he does not like it right now when I rub his ears. He jerks away and ducks his head. Any thoughts?? will his ears go back down??
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not sure what else I can add
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 7 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that you're worried about your pup but I'm glad to help. At that age, nothing is really set in stone when it comes to conformation (how they are built). He still has a good bit of growing to do and it's very likely that his ears will end up looking just like his mom's and dad's. If mom and dad didn't have perky ears, then I'd not expect him to have perky ears either. I'm glad to hear that they're clean. In the absence of redness, swelling in the canal, an odor, or excess wax, then it's not likely that his ears are bothering him. Any hesitation he would have to being handled is likely more behavioral than medical if the ears are checked out to be medically OK. Sometimes they will show some itching or discomfort or carry their ears "funny" during the very early stages of an ear infection, so if he does seem uncomfortable then it's definitely not wrong to have him examined by your vet so that they can look inside with an otoscope. Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)