Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I am baby sitting a 100 pound German Shephard who eats very

Customer Question

I am baby sitting a 100 pound German Shephard who eats very spefic - food and has a concientious owner. My neighbor just gave the dog a cooked pork shank. I was able to retrieve a few pieces and they looked splintery to me. What should I do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 6 months ago.
There's certainly reason to be concerned. Pork bones do splinter into sharp spicules which can perforate the gastrointestinal tract. You mustn't induce emesis which could badly traumatize the stomach or esophagus. Instead, adding psyllium seed (Metamucil) at a dose of two measuring tablespoons per the next three wet food meals would be prudent. This bulk laxative will help coat the bone and push it through the GI tract. You'll need to be observant of the signs of GI obstruction and perforation - both of which can cause persistent vomiting and anorexia and if those symptoms arose, prompt attention by Lucky's vet is needed. X-rays would be taken to better understand the impact of those bones on Lucky's GI tract.Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
He normally eats dry kibble only. I've heard of giving him a bit of pumpkin. I can mix the Metamucil in pumpkin. Is it premature to take him to the vet now? How long will I need to worry?
Canned pumpkin also acts as a bulk laxative. Mixing the psyllium seed into it is a good idea. Yes, a vet would tell you to "watchful wait" at this time. The GI transit time is quite variable - 2 -12 hours. If Lucky were to get in trouble, it would likely occur within that time frame. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What a cool thing this is. I feel completely confident about your response (I read quite a bit first) and saved a panic stricken drive to the vets. My own dog has other gi issues and even the mildest "treat" can cause her bloody stood and all sorts of problems. I guess we need to put a sign around our digs neck that says: DONT FEED ME!
You're wecome. Thank you for your kind words. In retrospect, rather than a sign, the neighbor should have asked first!!I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lucky. How is everything going?