Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian
89827615

My 9yr old dog has had 2 episodes today of watery stool. the

Customer Question

my 9yr old dog has had 2 episodes today of watery stool. the last had apink color. she has no temp. and is bright looking. I am on SS and can't afford to take her to the vet. What can you recomend?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. Jess. I am sorry to hear about your dog! Can you tell me, is she still eating normally? Any vomiting? Is she on a monthly heartworm preventative?
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
If her energy level is good and no vomiting, you can try treatment at home for a day or so and see if there is any improvement. I would recommend fasting your pup for 12 hours (no food for 12 hours) to give her GI tract a rest, then starting a diet of plain white rice and boiled shredded chicken breast for a few days. You can also start her on a probiotic for dogs. Your vet's office probably has these, as do many pet stores. The pet store or your local Tractor Supply or Farm and Home also are likely to carry an antidiarrheal medication containing kaolin and pectin such as this one:http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/lambert-kay-pet-pectillin-diarrhea-medication-for-dogs-cats-and-birds. If your dog becomes lethargic, starts vomiting, stops eating, or the diarrhea persists, then a vet exam is needed ASAP. It is never a bad idea to call your vet and see if they can test her stool to ensure there isn't an identifiable cause for diarrhea, such as common intestinal worms or protozoal parasites such as coccidia or giardia. You can purchase dewormers at the pet store for you dog (be sure you choose one based on the appropraite size for her weight) here is an example: http://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/8-in-1-safe-guard-4-canine-dewormer, but you cannot get medication over the counter for the protozoal parasites. If she was just there recently, they may even be willing to prescribe some antidiarrheal medication for her without having to bring her in. If the diarrhea is continuing to happen pretty frequently, and there is blood or mucus present is quite possible your dog could have something like colitis: http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=677 and needs a course of antibiotics.Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and best of luck!!!
Expert:  Jess K replied 7 months ago.
Hi Gail,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Mazey. How is everything going?

Jessica Keay