Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

I have a English springer spaniel/flat hair retriever mix.

Customer Question

I have a English springer spaniel/flat hair retriever mix. I normally have a very energetic dog that follows me everywhere up and down stairs, etc. For the last 3-4 days he's been very sluggish and isn't playful. Doesn't follow me around and just laying down.
For the last 2 months or so he has been developing a lump just inside his front left leg in his arm pit. It's about 1 1/2-2" in diameter. He lets me touch it but not too much. Could that lump be something that I should worry about? As well as painful enough to slow him down? He's never been sick, we live in the mountains of Colorado and he loves playing outside which isn't happening now.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 6 months ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!So sorry to hear Windsor is not feeling well. It is absolutely possible that if he doesn't like that mass touched it can be the cause of his malaise but it could potentially be unrelated so a veterinary exam is warranted In order to determine if they are benign (noncancerous) lumps versus malignant (cancerous) lumps is to have your veterinarian evaluate and aspirate (poke with a needle) the lumps to evaluate the material under the microscope This is really the only way to differentiate the concerning from the non concerning lumps definitively because a cancerous versus a noncancerous lump can appear identical on presentationEvaluation under the microscope will be looking at the lump at a cellular level. Do the cells look normal, is it sebaceous or oil material that is benign or even fatty material indicating a lipoma or are the cells abnormal in appearance? This information is critical in order to diagnose the lump origin and whether it should be removed sooner versus laterSome tell tale signs that a lump might be more of a concern include whether it is rapidly growing, it is bothersome (scratching, licking), it is not easily picked up from the underlying tissue indicating it is attached to the muscle layer. This can be helpful but not 100 % definitive as a fine needle aspiration would beI always advise photographing the lump with a ruler or coin next to the lump to measure the size weekly or in dark skinned dogs where it is not as readily viewable measuring with a ruler on a regular basis Please let me know if this information makes sense and any additional questions I can assist with today, I hope Windsor is feeling better soon! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about Windsor. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman