Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My dog has been crying when I pick her up, or move her. She

Customer Question

My dog has been crying when I pick her up, or move her. She now started to shiver today. She had an Xray of her abdomen done 4 days ,and Dx with constipation and put on Lactulose. Her constipation resolved, she is able to eat and drink,and urinate
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The noise must be worrying. I'll connect you to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Daeja
JA: Pardon me?
Customer: The dogs name is Daeja
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: I have tried to see if there is any isolated pain , but she doesn't seem to have any I palpated her legs, and chest but it doesn't seem to show me any significance
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 8 months ago.
Which breed and how old is your dog, please? Her behavior is suggestive of spinal/back pain usually due to degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") which often constipates due to the pain these dogs experience when positioning to defecate.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Maltese and 3 years old
Thank you. Yes, a Maltese of that age is overrepresented with degenerative disk disease. Supportive evidence of a disc includes trembling/shaking (pain responses), difficulty jumping up or down or navigating steps, vocalizing when approached or lifted, a change in posture such as holding the neck stiffly and head lower to the ground and/or a "hunch" in the back, and a change in behavior - a normally social dog becoming aloof or, conversely, a normally aloof dog becoming "clingy". Her vet will need to carefully palpate (feel) about Daeja's spine for areas of hyperpathia (increased sensitivity) indicative of a disk. Conservative care involves exercise restriction, a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug (NSAID) such as carprofen or meloxicam, a narcotic analgesic such as tramadol, and a skeletal muscle relaxant such as methocarbamol or diazepam. Most simple disks remiss within 3 weeks. Should acute paresis (weakness) or paralysis of any limb(s) arise, she would need to be attended to promptly. Those symptoms might indicate that she needs surgical decompression of her spinal cord.Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?