Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian

We took in a small male rescue puppy, Kefa, about 2 weeks

Customer Question

We took in a small male rescue puppy, Kefa, about 2 weeks ago. He is about the size of a ***** ***** and weighs 8 lbs. The shelter estimated him to be 8 mos. old. I left a razor on the side of the bathtub last night (carelessness). It was a solid piece of plastic with 5 blades, 1/16 wide and 7/8 of an inch long. About an hour ago, we found all the pieces of the razor in our family room, except two of five blades. Everything was bent and chewed. Should we attempt to make him throw up. He had just eaten before he chewed the razor. He seems fine now and no signs of blood inside of his mouth. What should we do????????
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 6 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question. This is a situation where he may or may not have eaten those two missing blades. What I'd do is get him to your vet to have them x-ray him to see if they are inside of him. They may not be there. I've had situations like this and he x-rays show they weren't eaten. If they weren't, then no issue. If they were, then the consideration to if they will pass is brought up. I don't like to make these guys vomit as that is a very forceful act. I don't like to have a lot of force / contractions as that may actually be more of a potential problem. These blades are actually very thin and pliable outside of the case and I've had very similar cases where they can pass benignly through the intestinal tract and be defecated out. They just move through with the ingesta and out. While waiting for them to hopefully pass through, they are monitored. They should continue to act normally as far as eating, drinking, playing, being comfortable and no vomiting. If any of these change, then re-checking is needed.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
If they are seen in an xray, what can be done?
If they are seen on the x-ray, it depends on if they are in the stomach. If they are in the stomach, some vets may try to induce vomiting to see if they are brought up. I don't.