Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  15 years of experience as a small animal veterinarian
14018973

I have a 6 year old chinese crested yorkie who has a heart

Customer Question

I have a 6 year old chinese crested yorkie who has a heart murmur. Her doctor just took an echo and an x-ray and i was told that it progressed from a 2 to a 6 in the last 6 months, but I took a peek at her paperwork yesterday and saw a 4 in a note to the sonographer. I saw notes from the sonographer that said my dog had "no visible masses, lt ventricle slightly enlarged and lungs have mild bronchoalviolar pattern." I don't trust the doctor now because I've caught her in a couple of lies. I really want a second opinion. Based on this, is this a treatable prognosis?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 7 months ago.
Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** Thank you for your question about Bella. Is she currently on medications for her heart situation at this time? It is important for there to be a good vet / client / pet relationship as trust is needed to go forward with treatment. With valvular diseases, murmurs being them, they are unfortunately a progressive situation that is attempted to be controlled in a manner that slows down the disease as much as possible. The valve that isn't functioning well is never fixed and therefor the heart is in the most basic terms slowly failing. Here is a good link I want you to have on valve disease in dogs.http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=2515So when you asked is this a treatable prognosis, yes. Valvular heart disease can be treated based on where each patient is at with various combinations of medications, but it isn't cured.
Here is another very good link on mitral valve insufficiency that I want you to read. It does a great job going over the stages and when treatment is / can be started.http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2096&aid=462