Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 4 and 1/2 old puppy ate about 10 ounces of

Customer Question

***** ***** - my 4 and 1/2 old puppy ate about 10 ounces of Wilton's light coco candy melts. She weighs about 60 pounds should I be concerned?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 4.5 months old
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 7 months ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How long has it been since she ate the candy? 2- Can you look at the label or ingredients and tell me the type of chocolate? 3- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I would guess it would have been last night around 1 so about 7 hours. They are the Wilton's candy melts milk chocolate or light coco it has sugar, partially hyd palm kernel oil, whole milk solids, cocoa powder processed with alkali, reduced mineral whey powder, cocoa powder, lecithin, salt, artificial flavor
Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Yes
Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She has gone to the bathroom just recently and it was a solid stool
Friend, chocolate toxicity and symptoms are very dose dependent. Symptoms can range from gastrointestinal symptoms to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. This is what you can do:1- Move quickly and try to induce vomiting. To induce vomiting give her 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally. 2- Allow her to walk for a minute and move her belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If she does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.3- If she does not vomit after 3rd dose or you do not see the chocolate in the vomit observe her for the next 24 hours. If she becomes hyperactive, muscle tremors, changes in respiration, etc. have her checked immediately by ER veterinarian, these are symptoms that could progress to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. If no symptoms after 24 hours (especially the first 12 hours) she will be fine. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Even if it's been 7 hours and she has no signs?
Friend, you said it could have been 1-7 hours, so if there is a possibility that she ate the candy within the last 1-2 hours then this can explain why there are no symptoms. But, if you are certain it was 7 hours then I would just observe her and not induce vomiting.
I am sorry, I misread your response you said: "1 so about 7 hours." No, if it has been 7 hours no need to induce vomiting, just observe her as described above.