Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog was just diagnosed with a gallbladder distension. I

Customer Question

My dog was just diagnosed with a gallbladder distension. I am devastated. They said he needs surgery to remove it. He's already had 2 surgeries in the 2 years.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: He had exploratory surgery last year in July, and soon thereafter he started getting diarrhea and anal gland infection. Now he has chronic diarrhea which is why my vet recommended an ultrasound. Today they found he had an enlarged gallbladder. 2 weeks ago his bloodwork showed he had elevated liver enzymes, low folate and b12 levels.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hello. I'm sorry for the long wait. It sounds like your dog may have a gallbladder mucocele or gallbladder obstruction. These are both surgical diseases. I would agree that he should have surgery to explore the abdomen and do the gallbladder removal (cholecystectomy). This is a surgery that has a good prognosis as long as they do well during the post-op period. It does have a 20-30% mortality rate post-op, so that is a risk that the owners need to be aware of. It's not that high, but it's higher than most abdominal surgeries that we do. In my experience, the majority of dogs that are fairly bright and responsive before surgery will have a good prognosis for a surgical cure. The one thing I would do, is make sure your vet has done the surgery before. It's not one that a lot of vets have done. In experienced hands, these guys can do quite well. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?