Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)

I sprayed benedryl on my dogs wound and he is very lethargic.

Customer Question

I sprayed benedryl on my dogs wound and he is very lethargic. What do I need to do now
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help your dog. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Louie male age 4 about 65 lbs
JA: How old is Louie Male Age 4 About 65 Pounds?
Customer: 4
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Hello. Thanks for the question. I don't think you need to do anything at this point. It may be that your dog licked some of the benadryl spray. Benadryl is very safe in dogs, but it does have the side effect of sedation. If it was ingested, then I would expect to see 6-8 hours of sedation following the ingestion. If the lethargy lasts more than 6-8 hours, then I would get him seen by a vet. In that case, I would wonder if he has a fever and the wound is actually infected. In that case, I would start some antibiotics to resolve the fever and control the lethargy. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
So it's not unusual for him to seem sedated?
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 6 months ago.
Not if he ingested some Benadryl. Sedation is a common and expected side effect, as in people. Many times I'll have owners give it with the purpose of causing sedation.