Dr. Gary, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian, BS (Physiology)
15010675

My dog ate a toothpick that was in a cake that fell on the

Customer Question

My dog ate a toothpick that was in a cake that fell on the floor. She is coughing up blood & I feel like if I could just get it to stop bleeding she would be fine. I think the blood is draining down her throat causing her to cough & not letting the bleeding clot off
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I fed her some cold ham to try to minimize the bleeding & it worked for a few min but now she has thrown it up from coughing
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Dog Veterinarians generally expect a deposit of about $19 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Hello. Did she spit out the toothpick or did she swallow it into her stomach?What kind of dog is this?
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She swallowed it. She is a pitbull
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
She full grown. Probably 60#
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
Ok thanks. In that case, I would go to a vet within the next 2-4 hours to get the toothpick removed. These can be really dangerous if they are left to pass through the gut. I have seen many dogs where the toothpick perforates the small intestine and causes peritonitis- this can be fatal. The best idea is to go in surgically and get it out or to use a scope to remove it. The oral bleeding can also be addressed at the same time. We'll usually place sutures to tie off any bleeding vessels with oral wounds. If you can't go in, then I would just bulk up the diet by feeding a small meal every 4-6 hours over the next 2-3 days. I would also feed some bread to hopefully pad the toothpick as it tries to move through. This is dangerous, but it's a plan B if plan A (removal) is not an option. I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I think the toothpick lacerated her throat & blood is draining down her lungs & making her cough. I did get her to briefly stop by feeding her cold foods it after she lay back down the bleeding started again
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
It could also be that the toothpick is actually poking into the soft tissue in the back of the throat. That would lead to coughing and bleeding. The only way to get to is safely, is by anesthetizing the dog and securing the airway with an endo-tracheal tube. I wish I could help you get to it at home, but she needs veterinary assistance.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Is there anything I can do until th vet is open. We live in a very rural area & there are none open all the tome
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Time
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.
There's not really anything you can do at home other than giving cold water to try to help a clot form. The problem in the morning is that we won't know where the toothpick is. It'll move out of the stomach by then. That's why I'd call around and find the nearest 24 hour ER. It may be a bit of a drive, but it's worth it.
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 7 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?