Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog was vomiting a little lethargic when he threw up water

Customer Question

My dog was vomiting a little lethargic when he threw up water he drank and had yellow bile I took him to vet (he is a healthy 38ish lb border collie mix, active). Vet wanted to keep him to do blood tests, anti-nausea treatment, rehydrate and xrays. I knew he could do what was immediately necessary while I was there, & requested that we get blood results and then see if xrays were necessary, which they did, I was there less than 1 hr. Took blood to send out for tests, IV, 2 antinausea shots, $420 & we were going home, with them insisting we return on Monday (this was Sat.) even if he's better he has to have Xrays, we had already agreed I'd be back for blood test results and having one xray. I was given instructions for Monday as I headed out the door, which was I would need to drop him off and leave himefor an hour or more for xrays, heartworm treatment, will need to get their dog food, etc. I'm so distraught, my question is simple, of course my dog's health is THE important factor here, and to not jeapardize that, but, I'm not comfortable with having him endure anything, no matter how painless, if not necessary.. They took a good amount of blood and the testing was $200., which I understand is to be tested for variety of ailments because if his age of 8.5 yrs, too. If there should be some definitive result, that requires a definitive treatment plan, or if the resulting answer is he just had a temporary upset/bug, is that not assurance enough and are xrays customary in this situation? Thank you, ***** ***** at the vet shortly.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am not set up to make a live call. But, I am happy to answer your question on this thread. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- How is he doing now?