Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.

My boston terrier ingested proin- I am unsure of how much JA:

Customer Question

my boston terrier ingested proin- I am unsure of how much
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if your boston terrier will be able to digest that. What is the boston terrier's name and age?
Customer: JAKS, 2 years old
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: his skin feels hot to the touch
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 6 months ago.
Hello!Thank you for your question, I'm Dr. Dan and I'll try to help you. Can you tell me how much Jaks weighs? Can you tell me how many miligrams (mg) of proin he ate? Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
he weighs 25 pounds approx- the bottle (meant for my lab) fell and the pills spilled- they are 50 mg, I am totally unsure of how many he got to
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
it has been about 2 hours
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 6 months ago.
Thanks for the information, I have one more question, if you put your hand on her chest can you feel Jack's heart rate? IF so what is the heart rate? Dr. Dan
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
is this my answer?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 6 months ago.
No I need to know if you can provide me with Jak's heart rate, it will help me give you the best advice. If you can't let me know.
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 6 months ago.
Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that you're having a scary night with Jaks - I'll do my best to help. Given that you're not sure how much proin he ingested, this could potentially be a very serious toxicity for him. Here are a few notes on the drug from Plumb's Veterinary Drug Handbook: "Most likely side effects include vomiting, anorexia, restlessness, anxiety, irritability, urine retention, tachycardia, and hypertension. Rare reports of “stroke” have occurred in dogs given therapeutic dosages of phenylpropanolamine." "Clinical signs of overdosage may consist of an exacerbation of the adverse effects listed above or, if a very large over-dose, severe cardiovascular (hypertension to rebound hypotension, bradycardias to tachycardias, and cardiovascular collapse) or CNS effects (stimulation to coma) can be seen." Larger overdoses have the potential to cause severe cardiovascular issues that can be life threatening. Smaller doses may cause only the side effects listed in the first statement. Not knowing how much Jaks ingested, the absolute safest thing to do would be to take him to the vet ASAP for an evaluation. This may mean taking him to an after hours emergency hospital, depending on the time of day where you are. Please let me know what questions I can handle for you.~Dr. Sara ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)