Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Licensed Veterinarian

I think she ate some quest gel and is acting really

Customer Question

I think she ate some quest gel for horses and is acting really funny
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Jersey
JA: How old is Jersey?
Customer: Not even a year and 75 lbs
JA: Anything else I can tell the Veterinarian before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Veterinarian about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Hello, this is Dr. JESs. I am sorry to hear about your dog Jersey. Unfortunately, if your dog ingested the quest gel for horses, she could be suffering from an ivermectin/moxidectin toxicosis. Do you have a vet/emergency vet available to you? How long ago did she eat this gel?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I. Not sure about 1-2 this after noon and no where close to where i live
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Unfortunately, if it has been many hours since ingestion, something like inducing vomiting is not likely to help. The safest thing would be to drive your dog to wherever a vet is available, for them to adminster activated charcoal to try to absorb any remaining in the intestines, and to check her electrolytes and provide IV fluid therapy to correct any electrolyte abnormalities and provide some diuresis. What is she doing exactly right now that is abnormal?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ShE is high stepping and acting like she is looking for something thats not there she has ate some of her food but not much and panting
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
So it has been longer than 5 or 6 hours since she ate it? I am not sure where you are located in the country, so I don't know what time it is where you are at, just want to be sure. If it has been less than that amount of time and she is not yet acting depressed/seems mentally alert you can try inducing vomiting with peroxide. Has it been less than 5 or 6 hours?If not, then likely absorption has already occurred. Because we don't know how much she ingested, I cannot tell you truly how severely she will be affected, but it can become life threatening leading to respiratory depression, seizures, and coma in some dogs. I don't want to scare you, but I don't want to tell you it will all pass without a problem, because I can't gaurantee that. I am attaching an article here on ivermectin toxicity (Quest has a drug that is in the ivermectin class of drugs), so you can look it over and decide if you are able to travel to the vet hospital despite the long drive., at this point there may not really be much you can do at home other than keep her in a confined area where she can't hurt herself and provide heat support if she becomes more sedate and starts to lose some of her thermoregulatory abilities.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Im in ohio it is 847 pm she is not depressed she jumped up on my son :)
Prooxide? What do i do with it
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Honestly, if it has been over 6 hours, it is probably not going to help at this point (the drug will have already been absorbed). But if you want, you can give hydrogen peroxide 3% to her to induce vomiting (but as I said, probably not going to do anything to relieve her symptoms at this point, since it has been so long since she ingested it). For a 75 pound dog, you can give 45 ml (5ml = a teaspoon) of hydrogen peroxide orallly. If no vomiting after 10 or 15 minutes, you can repeat this ONE time only. I would watch her very closely for depression, difficulty breathing, tremors/seizures... if these occur, you need to taker her in to be seen. Hopefully she just ingested a little, but we aren't out of the woods yet with her and she needs to be closely watched over the next 24 hours. Please let me know if you have any other questions. If you do not, please take a moment to CLICK AND RATE our conversation so we can know if you were satisfied with your service and I can get credit for helping to answer your question. Thank you and good luck!
Expert:  Jess K replied 6 months ago.
Just checking to see how your pup did overnight?